It is indispensable for organisations to have an online presence in this era of technology, and it’s no different for small businesses. As orthodox marketing methods are becoming less effective and more expensive, digital marketing presents a more cost-effective route to reach a broader audience, build brand awareness, and drive profitable customer action.
Unlike conventional marketing, digital marketing lets organisations track the efficacy of their campaigns in real time and construct data-driven determinations to enhance their process. However, with so many digital marketing tracks and strategies available, it can be overwhelming for small business owners to settle on the right one.
This article will present nine compelling digital marketing techniques that small businesses can utilise to accomplish their marketing objectives. We will cover the basics of each approach, its benefits and provide tips on executing them virtually.
1. Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is the practice of optimising a website to improve its visibility and hierarchy on search engine results pages (SERPs). SEO aims to make a website more relevant and valuable to users’ search queries and ultimately drive more traffic and potential customers to the website.
SEO involves techniques such as keyword research, on-page optimization, link building, and technical optimization to improve the website’s search engine ranking. SEO offers numerous benefits for small businesses, like:
- Increased website traffic: By optimising a website for search engines, businesses can expand their website traffic, which can lead to more potential customers and higher income.
- Improved brand awareness: A higher search engine ranking can increase a business’s visibility and brand awareness, making it more likely for people to remember and recommend the business to others.
- Cost-effective marketing: SEO is a cost-effective way to promote a business online, as it doesn’t require paid advertising and can generate long-term results.
- Better user experience: By optimising a website’s structure, content, and performance, businesses can provide a better user experience for their visitors, leading to higher engagement and conversion rates.
Here are some basic SEO techniques that small businesses can use to improve their search engine ranking:
- Keyword research: Determine the keywords and terms that potential customers are using to search for products or services in your industry and utilise them in your content.
- On-page optimisation: Tailor your website’s title & header tags, meta descriptions, and content to assemble it even more pertinent to users’ search queries. This way, you can maximise the value of your site and form a more satisfactory user experience.
- Link building: Strengthen your website’s relevancy and rank by obtaining authoritative links from other websites that point to your own. Such high-calibre connections can make a remarkable difference in search engine optimisation!
- Technical optimization: Ensure your website’s structure and performance are enhanced for search engines, including site load speed, mobile-friendliness, and protection.
2. Social Media Marketing (SMM)
Social Media Marketing (SMM) utilises platforms like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn as powerful tools to boost not only your business’s visibility but also build meaningful connections with customers. Leveraging SMM can be an efficient way to create brand recognition and reach key audiences that could potentially become loyal customers.
SMM includes various activities such as creating and sharing content, running campaigns, promoting products and services, and responding to customers. SMM offers numerous benefits for small businesses, including:
- Increased brand visibility: Social media platforms have billions of active users, making them a great way for businesses to reach a wider audience and increase brand visibility.
- Cost-effective: SMM is a phenomenal, budget-friendly marketing tool for small businesses to market their offerings. Many social media networks offer free marketing tools and reasonably priced advertisement options.
- Customer engagement: Social media provides businesses with a platform to interact directly and effectively with their customers, respond promptly to inquiries, and offer exceptional customer service, which can result in increased customer satisfaction and loyalty.
- Brand building: SMM can be used to build a strong brand image and personality, which can help differentiate a business from its competitors and create a memorable customer experience.
Here are some suggestions for small businesses to implement an effective SMM strategy:
- Define your target audience: Dive into who your target audience is – their age, interests, and behaviour – to craft content that truly speaks to them.
- Choose the right platforms: Determine which social media outlets your marked audience uses the most and focus on creating content for those platforms.
- Create valuable content: Create informative, engaging, and shareable content to build brand awareness and increase customer engagement.
- Design your campaign properly: Create a well-defined campaign with specific goals, strategies, and metrics to measure success.
- Analyse and optimise your strategy: Use social media analytics to track the effectiveness of your SMM strategy, identify what works and what doesn’t, and make data-driven decisions to optimise your strategy.
3. Pay-Per-Click Advertising (PPC)
You can leverage the power of Pay-Per-Click (PPC) advertising to reach potential customers and maximise your ROI! With PPC, you can bid on distinct keywords or terms. When someone searches for those terms, your ad will be shown at the top of the search engine results page (SERP) or other relevant websites.
PPC advertising is a money-saving, reachable solution for small businesses to target their ideal demographic and generate web visits. It encompasses search, display, video, and social media ads.
The benefits PPC advertising offers to small businesses include the following:
- Cost-effective: PPC advertising eliminates the need for small businesses to compete with deep-pocketed larger companies, as it provides them with a budget specifically tailored to their needs. This ensures that all businesses can participate in an even playing field and get access to quality leads without overextending their resources!
- Targeted: By taking advantage of PPC advertising, businesses can target audiences with unparalleled precision based on demographics, location, interests and more. This empowers small companies to reach their most likely customers in a cost-effective way!
- Measurable: PPC advertising provides real-time data on the performance of ads, including the number of clicks, impressions, and conversions. With this powerful ability, small businesses can make well-informed decisions and adjust their campaigns to yield maximum performance.
- Quick results: With PPC advertising, you can access an influx of website traffic in the blink of an eye! As a result, small businesses can see results quickly and adjust their campaigns for maximum impact.
Here are some tips for small businesses to develop compelling PPC advertising campaigns:
- Define clear goals: Before creating a PPC campaign, define your goals, such as driving traffic, generating leads, or increasing sales.
- Choose the right keywords: Conduct thorough keyword research to find the most relevant and cost-effective keywords for your campaign.
- Create compelling ad copy: Ad copy should be concise, persuasive, and focused on the benefits of the product or service.
- Use high-grade images and videos: Graphical content can make an ad more attractive and memorable. Use the right images and videos to grab the awareness of your marked audience.
- Test and optimise: Constantly monitor and fine-tune your pay-per-click campaigns for the most successful outcomes. Discover what works best for you by experimenting with various ad formats, landing pages, and targeting strategies before committing to any one option.
4. Content Marketing
Content marketing is an effective strategy designed to generate and share valuable, targeted, and consistent material that attracts your audience’s attention as well as encourages them to take profitable actions. It is about creating a relationship with potential and existing customers by providing practical infusion to help them solve troubles or acquire their pursuits.
Content marketing is especially beneficial for small businesses as it helps build their brand, establish authority, and generate leads. Here are some advantages of content marketing for small enterprises:
- Increases brand awareness: To maximise your brand’s visibility and recognition, craft top-notch content that resonates with your audience.
- Establishes authority: When you consistently produce valuable content that educates, informs, or entertains your audience, you can establish yourself as an authority in your industry.
- Generates leads: By creating content that addresses your audience’s pain points and provides them with solutions, you can entice and transform potential customers into leads.
- Improves search engine rankings: Search engines love fresh, relevant, and high-quality content. Constantly generating remarkable content is a surefire way to enhance your website’s search engine rankings and obtain better organic traffic.
Small businesses can leverage a variety of content marketing strategies, including:
- Blogging: Creating blog posts is one of the most prevalent forms of content advertising. Blogs allow you to share your expertise, educate your audience, and engage them on a regular basis.
- Infographics: Infographics are an inviting and aesthetically pleasing way to convey intricate material in a simplified manner. They can be used to showcase statistics, data, or industry trends.
- Ebooks and whitepapers: E-books and whitepapers are ideal for those seeking a more exhaustive discourse on a given subject, providing readers with extensive information that is sure to satisfy their curiosity. They can be used to enlighten your audience or present your thought leadership.
- Videos: Videos are an incredibly effective tool to capture your viewers’ attention and highlight the advantages of your products or services. They can be used to demonstrate how to use a product, provide tutorials, or share customer success stories.
- Webinars: Webinars are the perfect avenue to engage with your audience and share knowledge in an interactive virtual setting. They can be used to showcase your expertise, provide product demonstrations, or answer customer questions.
5. Email Marketing
Email marketing is a powerful tool that lets enterprises articulate directly with their consumers and promote their products or services. It also enables companies to build relationships, gain insight into customer needs, and ultimately increase sales. With email marketing, you can reach your target audience base fast.
Email marketing offers several benefits for small businesses:
- Cost-effective: Email marketing is not only an economical way to reach out to customers, but it’s also a great platform for small businesses. With this incredible tool, you can captivate the masses without paying a lot!
- Direct communication: Email marketing offers businesses the opportunity to build strong, lasting relationships with their customers by providing a direct line of communication. Such connections are essential for establishing loyalty and trust between businesses and their consumers.
- Personalisation: Emails can be personalised based on the customer’s interests, behaviour, and past purchases. Through this approach, the message is tailored to each individual and becomes increasingly engaging.
- Measurable results: Through tracking and measuring email marketing campaigns, businesses are able to identify their return on investment (ROI), which allows them to optimise their tactics for greater success.
Here are some tips for small businesses to construct sufficient email marketing campaigns:
- Build a quality email list: In order to run a successful email marketing campaign, an accurate and engaged email list is necessary. Consider cultivating your subscriber base with people interested in the goods or services you offer; this will ensure that your emails are seen by those who are likely to make use of them.
- Send personalised emails: Personalization can increase engagement and conversions. Use the customer’s name, segment the list based on interests and behaviour, and send targeted emails.
- Write compelling first lines: Captivate your customers’ attention with thought-provoking subject lines that evoke curiosity and compel them to open their emails. Make sure the content of what you’re offering is crystal clear so that when a customer reads the email, they know exactly why it’s beneficial for them.
- Create engaging content: Crafting compelling and pertinent content in your emails will help you capture the attention of your customers. Use powerful images, videos, and testimonials to make the email more engaging and persuasive.
- Call-to-action: Every email should include a clear call-to-action that encourages the customer to take an explicit move, such as buying or signing up for a newsletter.
6. Influencer Marketing
Influencer marketing is an effective type of digital advertising that involves working with influencers or individuals who boast a massive following on social media and other online platforms. These influencers can range from celebrities to bloggers to industry experts – anyone who has the power to sway their audience into buying products or services they’re promoting.
Businesses can improve brand awareness, drive deals, and produce customer trust by associating with influencers who strongly connect to their target audience. Additional benefits of this variation of marketing include:
- Build credibility and authority: By associating their brand with influencers who have a strong reputation in their industry, small businesses can increase their credibility and authority in the eyes of their target audience.
- Reach a specific target audience: Influencers typically have a niche following that shares their interests and values. Small businesses can reap the benefits of working with influencers to directly access a particular, passionate audience that is more inclined to buy their products or services.
- Generate user-generated content: Influencer campaigns can encourage their followers to share their experiences and opinions about the brand, which can generate user-generated content and increase engagement.
To run an effective influencer marketing campaign, small businesses should:
- Define clear goals and objectives: Before you embark on an influencer marketing campaign, it is important to set clear objectives for your efforts, such as increasing brand visibility, bolstering sales figures and generating leads.
- Identify the right influencers: Identify influencers who strongly connect with your target audience and align with your brand values and goals.
- Build a strong relationship with influencers: Build a strong relationship with influencers and give them the creative freedom to promote your products or services authentically.
- Set clear expectations: Set clear expectations for the influencers and provide them with clear guidelines about what they expect from the campaign.
7. Local Search Marketing
Local search marketing is a form of digital marketing focused on increasing visibility for businesses in local search results. If your business has a physical location, local search marketing can help you reach local customers searching for products or services like yours.
The benefits of local search marketing:
- Increased visibility: Local search marketing can help your business get found by probable local customers searching for relevant products or services in their area.
- Better customer engagement: Creating local content and engaging with customers online can help businesses build better relationships with their local customers.
- Higher conversion rates: Optimising your online presence for local search results can increase the chances of appearing in front of high-converting local customers.
- Cost-effective: Harnessing the power of local search marketing can be a cost-effective way to boost your business’s visibility and attract new customers in a distinct location.
There are several ways to improve a business’s local search marketing strategy:
- Claim and optimise Google My Business listing: By optimising your GMB profile, you can dramatically increase your perceptibility in local search results and deliver potential customers with the data they need about your enterprise. Add detailed contact details, opening hours and a link to your website – all of this will help users find what they’re looking for quickly and easily.
- Use local keywords: Strategically insert location-centric keywords in your website’s content, meta descriptions, and title tags to assist search engines with understanding the geographic focus of your company. This will also help you gain improved clarity in local search results.
- Encourage customer reviews: Captivating customer reviews can boost a business’s local search engine visibility and create an atmosphere of trust. Invite your customers to submit their feedback on platforms such as Google, Yelp, or other review websites for the most impactful results.
- Create local content: Creating blog posts, videos, or other content focused on local topics or events can help increase a business’s visibility in local search results. It can also help build brand awareness and engagement with the local community.
- Get listed in local directories: Get listed in local directories like Yelp, Yellow Pages, and other online directories to increase visibility and improve the local search presence of a business.
8. Affiliate Marketing
Affiliate marketing is an effective digital strategy to promote products or services where individual affiliates promote your service or product in exchange for commissions. It’s a smart move for small businesses that want to drive leads, increase sales, and boost brand awareness.
The benefits of affiliate marketing:
- Cost-effective: Affiliate marketing is an efficient and cost-effective method to engage prospective customers and increase sales. You only pay for successful conversions, so there is no need to invest heavily in advertising campaigns or other forms of marketing.
- Increased brand visibility: Running affiliate campaigns can help increase brand visibility and awareness of your products or services among potential customers.
- Targeted marketing: Affiliate marketing often brings a highly targeted audience that small businesses can tap into. Affiliate marketing is an excellent way of connecting with a much-coveted, active audience.
Here are some recommendations for building an effective affiliate marketing campaign:
- Choose the right affiliates: It’s important to choose affiliates who are well-suited for your products or services and who have an engaged audience that is likely to be interested in what you are offering.
- Create compelling content: Affiliates will publicise your products or services through their website or social outlets. To increase the chances of making a sale, you should provide them with high-quality images, videos, and other promotional materials.
- Set clear expectations: Before partnering with affiliates, it’s important to set clear expectations regarding commissions, promotional guidelines, and other terms and conditions. To evade any perplexities or miscommunications in the future, this is a must.
9. Mobile Marketing
Mobile marketing is an advertising strategy that caters to current and potential consumers on their mobile devices. It involves creating campaigns tailored to the mobile user experience, such as SMS and MMS messages, push notifications, in-app ads, and other forms of content delivery.
As most consumers now use smartphones to search for products or services, mobile marketing provides businesses an excellent opportunity to reach a large audience and increase conversions. The usefulness of this marketing includes the following:
- High reach: Mobile devices are ubiquitous, meaning businesses can reach many potential customers through mobile campaigns.
- Improved engagement: Mobile campaigns can be tailored to the user experience, making them more engaging and effective at building customer relationships.
- Cost-effective: Compared to other digital strategies, mobile marketing is a budget-friendly route for small businesses. With its low expense and better return on investment, it’s no wonder why more companies are joining the bandwagon!
To be effective in mobile marketing, small businesses need to follow these tips:
- Optimise for mobile: Ensure that your websites are optimised for mobile devices. This includes using mobile-friendly design, responsive web design, and fast-loading pages.
- Use mobile-friendly content: Mobile users have shorter attention spans, so it’s important to create mobile-friendly content that’s easy to read and consume on a small screen.
- Leverage mobile apps: Small businesses can also use mobile apps to engage with customers and offer personalised experiences.
Small businesses have an incredible chance to reach their target market in the ever-changing digital landscape by taking advantage of multiple online marketing tactics. Business owners should take advantage of the digital marketing plans outlined in this article to increase their online visibility, attract new customers, and grow their businesses.
With the right combination of digital marketing plans, any business can establish a strong online presence and achieve its desired success. We hope you enjoyed reading this blog on our agency’s website. If you need our help in formulating a hard hitting marketing strategy that is geared towards driving traffic to your website and sales to your company then we are here to create that very strategy for you.
Get Expert Insights
If you’re looking for more information on boosting your online presence, increasing your exposure and getting more leads, sign-ups and sales, fill out the form below, and we will get back to you quickly. With our team of experienced digital marketing professionals, we can help you get the most out of your online presence. Take advantage of what the internet offers and start seeing results now! Thank you for taking the time to read this article.
Armen is an On-Page SEO and Content Marketing expert who is the CEO of ACERO. He frequently delves into subjects such as SEO, Link Building, Digital Marketing, UK Law, Finance, Music, Blockchain, Technology, and Lifestyle. His passion for research and his ability to articulate complex ideas in a clear and engaging way have earned him a reputation as a highly skilled and versatile author and digital marketing expert.